- First up rest aussured it’s totally FREE for PTs to train entrants on this Challenge.
- Each year, hundreds of entrants sign up to the 20 Week Challenge.
- Over a 100 PTs have trained those entrants. Click here to read what PTs say about their fabulous experiences.
- Entrants choose two categories to match their health and fitness goals.
- PTs then do what they do best, test and train entrants towards those goals.
- At the end Catch Fitness gives away Awards for every category and cash prizes.
- 2017 will be our 14th series.
- Everything is FREE to PTs i.e. there’s no cost for you to train entrants on this Challenge, we take no commission from your sessions, nothing, zilch, nada. So everything you get below, is FREE too.
- Pick Up New Clients: 100s of entrants have used PTs for the first time as a result of entering the 20 Week Challenge. PTs like Dwayne in the picture had 14 new clients sign up with him..
- Motivate Existing Clients: The majority of existing clients see their PT more often and are more committed to following their PTs advice during the 20 Week Challenge.
- Free Business Resources: PTs receive proven ideas to grow their business.
- Free Technical Support: PTs receive fitness testing templates and training ideas.
- Increase Your Income: The 20 Week Challenge currently generates more than $300,000 a year in extra income for our total pool of PTs. Some PTs build their business around the challenge and many have been part of it for 5 or more series.
- Promotional Material All Done: Promoting your self as trainer can be hard yards but our aim is to make it easy with our Promo Pack of ideas and free downloadable templates.
- We Rave About You: We don’t support the idea that just one PT, famous or otherwise is the PT for everyone even if it is a Michelle Bridges or Bill Phillips. We know the best PTs are the ones on the ground and our aim is to promote and support that philosophy and every registered PT.
- We Will Make You Look Good: Hang out with us, a reputable, long term business and you’ll increase your own credibility and branding power, especially if you’re a newby on the block.
Read over 100 testimonials from PTs here , watch the movie below and click on these pics to see how happy the clients are!
Check out the 20 Week Challenge website for hundreds of testimonials from entrants, www.20weeks.co.nz.
Entries open January 14th, 2017 For other important dates head to the Calendar on the 20 Week Challenge site.
A. It’s FREE for PTs
Entrants pay $129 to enter or an early bird rate of $99 and we offer a wad of deals and discounts for children, seniors, previous entrants etc but it’s free for PTs to train entrants and free for any PT with a client entered on the Challenge to enter as well.
As a new trainer, the 20 Week Challenge will help build your confidence and grow your business.
As an experienced trainer, entering your existing clients into 20 Week Challenge can be the perfect way to push those that need it and a wonderful way to reward those doing well.
Above: Cate Grace with her first clients back in 2010. Cate went on to win the 2011 NZ Fitness Industry HQH Up and Coming PT Award and in 2013 went to London as one of the Life Fitness, 10 top PTs in the world to watch. In 2013 she had 55 people enter under her, 49 of whom crossed the finish line. In 2014 she had more than 60 enter with similar numbers in 2015 and 2016 – the 10th series she was involved with.
At the other end of the spectrum Jean Scott Winner of the Fitness Industry REPs Award 2011, has now done eleven challenges and has over 20 years experience in the industry. Jean went to London in 2013 as a finalist in the Life Fitness Top 10 PTs in the world to watch.
As with all your clients, the entrants pay you directly at whatever rate you both agree to. PTs do not pay any entry fees/commissions etc to Catch Fitness on any client sessions.
Answer: Tell the world you are a 20 Week Challenge PT.
- Update your REPs profile: Entrants without trainers are encouraged to look to their local REPs site when they sign up so make sure your details on it are complete and enticing. We also encourage trainers to say they are a 20 Week Challenge PT in the first line or two of their profile on those sites so they are really easy to find.
- Use our PT marketing templates: These are ready for social media, in local workplaces, on your website etc to tell the world you are a 20 Week Challenge PT. Register here and we’ll send you the link to the promo pack and if it brings you new clients or sessions awesome, and if not, you’ve lost nothing.
a) Pre-read and prepare. Take 10 minutes to have a good read about the Challenge on the actual 20 Week Challenge site and then, if you’d love some more clients, take some time to look at the promo pack tools and start using some to promote yourself!
b) Be a PT. There-after you do what you do for all your clients, but so you can rest easy, these are those duties spelt out.
- Fitness test all your client entrants in the first four weeks of the challenge and again in the last 4 weeks of the challenge. We will provide the templates on which the results are recorded and ideas on how to do these but at the end of the day the exact tests you choose will be up to you. The entrants will log their results with us.
- See your entrant client in person, at least once every 4 weeks and at least 5 times during the challenge and to advise us if you don’t, otherwise they will be disqualified. By in person, we mean physically face to face, not by skype for instance*
- Communicate professionally. Respond promptly to everything that comes into your world from entrants, potential entrants and ourselves. Whether it’s a group email or text or whatever, the very least that we ask is for you to flick back a reply saying ‘received’. You’ll wow us and your world if you do which means you’ll get more referrals.
c) Feedback: Give us feedback at the end.
d) Optional extra’s but highly encouraged are to:-
- Read the short weekly chapters. This will be sent to you the week before it is sent to the entrants 100% of feedback at the end of the 2014 challenge told us ALL entrants should receive these and over 98% in 2015 and 2016!
- Read the occasional Supporters PT emag designed to help grow your business and support you as a challenge trainer.
* If you have had a client for more than 12 months before they entered this challenge, and you have seen them for no less than 12 times in that 12 months, then we allow you to do one of the minimum monthly sessions with them by Skype.
* We also have five Global PTs who will provide Skype training to entrants who do not have an ICREPs trainer within 20km of their home or work. Those Global Trainer positions need to be applied for and approved by us, Catch Fitness and have been chosen for 2017.
We give PTs ideas but we won’t dictate what you actually do or the advice you give. PTs are the best ones to decide what’s best for each client. We will, however, offer you up some ideas and help you feel more confident with what you are doing.
On April 2nd we provide all entrants and trainers with a fitness testing template which will indicate the areas we would like tested for each category.
The Catch Fitness 20 Week Challenge is a great way for a fitness facility to provide:-
- business and technical support to its PTs via the weekly e-mags we provide
- a quality challenge to members which has very safe, mainstream content. There’s nothing that’s likely to upset any dietitian, physio or PT in them.
- an attractive reason for new members to join up with your facility for 20 weeks
- a retention tool for existing members
- a way to entice members to use your PTs, attend your classes and use the other services of your club and affiliates.
Basically it’s a challenge where all the hard work has been done and the cash prizes put up.
More often than not it is individual contractor PTs from clubs that come on board and we stress they should still consult with their club first about whether it is suitable for them to be involved. Fitness clubs – feel free to talk to us about how it could work for your club before March 1st, 2016.
We offer a PT of the Series Award. PTs can also enter the 20 Week Challenge themselves for free and compete against other 20 Week Challenge PTs, plus all PTs can enter and win the Fit4Business category.
All 20 Week Challenge PTs need to be registered with one of these bodies by May 21st, 2017 at PT Level or what in NZ with REPs, is regarded as Exercise Consultant Level 2 or equivalent elsewhere.
This means you can promote yourself as 20 Week Challenge even if you are not currently registered providing you know you are eligible to register and do indeed complete your registration by May 21st.
You must r tell anyone that signs up with you that you’re not yet registered but will be by the time the challenge starts, as they will not be eligible for a refund if you don’t register.
Email us for more information if need be or head to your local registration body’s website.
Just click on the calendar on the lower right hand side of the 20 Week Challenge website which will take you to this page – calendar
Head to the 20 Week Challenge site itself and get a little familiar with the categories – 20 Week Challenge site
Then on April 2nd all PTs will receive a Supporters Guide to help them along the way.
The Catch Fitness 20 Week Challenge, piloted in 2007 with 20 people, was set up by me, PT Broni McSweeney to help people live a full and happy life by being healthier and fitter.
It was hugely successful yet I fully realised that the winning piece in the jigsaw was not ME personally, it was for entrants to see a PT on a regular basis, any PT (within limits) and allowing them to do what they do best. Add to that a motivational and effective structure and the success rate was bound to be high.
To re-iterate, the BEST PT isn’t the Michelle Bridges, or Bill Phillips of the world, and while they are great people no doubt, nothing beats that trainer who can advise someone on the ground, in real time, on an individual basis. It’s the PT that’s in their neighborhood or at their gym or in 2017, for some of our more rural entrants, online through skype portals.
The Challenge has now been delivered by more than 100 awesome personal trainers all over New Zealand. 🙂 It has grown in numbers every series and for the first time in 2017 will head international, providing a fun and adventurous journey, for both for entrants and trainers all over the world.
For many personal trainers the Challenge not only helps them to help others, it brings them new clients, new ideas and provides them with lots of free resources to use in their own challenges and with their other clients.
I am a personal trainers biggest fan, and it brings me so much joy to know this Challenge plays a role in helping keep them in our industry doing so much good for our communities. Many of it’s features are designed with them in mind, making it easier and easier for them to be involved and certainly the fact that it is free for them is due to my love and respect of everything they do.
‘The 20 Week Challenge is an absolutely fabulous thing to be part of. It took me a couple of years before I gave it a shot after I had been recommended by another PT and I am so glad I finally did! In 3 years we have trained 80 people for this challenge and have had some incredible results and life changing stories! This is a great challenge to keep your clients on track over winter and excellent if they have an edge of competitiveness in them 🙂
Kate Lugtigheid – Pumped Personal Training. Winner of the Exercise Industry Award – PT of the Year, 2015.
For those who have been involved in the Challenge pre-2017 there are some key changes this year that it is important to be aware of. Click here from January 10th to view.